Sunday, November 15, 2009

Getting there!


Today was a big day for the Ms Pacman day. In the past 2 weeks I've recovered the cocktail table using vinyl laminate I purchased from PartsExpress.com. For $20 you get 18 feet x 25", which is more than enough to cover the game.

This was my first time working with this stuff and it didn't come out perfect, but it's a lot better than the previous covering. I also put on new t-molding, and that came out pretty good. Overall the game looks pretty good.

Today was my big push to clean up the internal wiring. I opted to put a new power entry jack, an IEC connector. This is the connector type you see on virtually every desktop computer (see the picture).

I also added an "interlock switch" so if you open the cocktail table up the power is switched off. This is in series with a main power switch. And for added measure there's a fan, running of 120vac, to keep things cool. The cabinet has ventilation holes for this type of fan, but the fan was missing from the game.

I put everything back into the cabinet and then powered it all up, everything works! The only issue is that there is a slight "wiggle" to the display. So I've pulled everything apart and now I'm debugging this problem.

So I'm very, very close. Once I get rid of this wiggle I can put everything back into the cabinet and tie up the wiring harnesses.

So I have ordered some additional parts from Bob Roberts, the important one being a new filter capacitor for the GO7 B+ supply. I also ordered a shielded speaker, the existing speaker is unshielded and it's proximity to the monitor may cause issues.

I'm anxious to wrap up the Ms Pacman. I have several other games that need to be fixed (a Battlezone with monitor problems, a Defender with a power supply issue and a Missile Command cocktail that just isn't working any more).

No comments:

Post a Comment