Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ms Pacman lives!

I got to a point where Ms Pacman is "playable". The only problem left was that the G07-CBO monitor had a strong green component (as in all dark areas of the picture were green). Based on the G07 repair flowchart I found on the web I zeroed in on the green video drivers on the monitor neck board (1 transistor) and the main chassis board (2 transistors). I ordered replacements and waited. I got my replacement video driver transistors from "The Real Bob Roberts" yesterday. Rather than test the transistors I merely replaced them in succession. So I know the problem wasn't on the neck board, but it cleared up immediately when I replaced the two transistors on the chassis board.

The system is still apart, I'm trying to locate replacement wood grain vinyl (I stripped off the original). I now have pretty much all the parts to begin reassembly except for the vinyl.

The G07 still has one more minor problem, there's a slight "wiggle" in the display. I verified this is due to a problem in the voltage regulator, but now I have to figure out what component. This isn't a high priority, the game will be playable, but the engineer in me can't abide leaving a known bug in the system, especially when it's all apart and much easier to fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment