Sunday, December 27, 2009

Stargate

I have my Defender game working 100% but I've been playing around with the cabinet. By chance I saw a Stargate game (non-working of course) come on eBay at a decent price (okay, $250) that was local, so I put in my bid and waited 10 minutes to see if I won it (I told you it was by chance). So now I'm the new owner of a non-working Stargate game.

I went to Linden NJ (about 30 minutes away) to pick up the game early Christmas Eve morning with one of my daughters. The game was in the shape it was advertised so no complaints there. We hauled it home in the Suburban (it's really good having a Suburban when you need to move video games).

So the Stargate is in the basement right next to the Defender. My priority now is to get Defender put back together, I'll deal with the restoration of the cabinet later. Since Stargate uses the same monitor as the Defender (a GO7-CBO), I was able to swap monitors to see if the Stargate monitor was working. The good news is that the Stargate monitor is good but it does need a cap kit. So the problems are deeper (I suspected that since there was no sound during the POST) and will require some work.

So I just ordered a standard set of supplies when dealing with a Williams game, first a GO7-CBO cap kit and a "get well kit" for the linear power supply. Yes, the Stargate still has it's original power supply - no switching, and I'm going to keep it that way if at all possible (by the way the supply LEDs are all lit, so the supply probably isn't the problem). I also ordered a set of RAMs, the 4116's seem to go out quite commonly with these boards.

The cabinet of the Stargate isn't too bad. Like most cabs there are big holes from where lock bars were installed to secure the coin box. I have to rework the power cord. My plan is to use an IEC power entry module like I did for the Ms Pacman.

No comments:

Post a Comment