Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The hunt is on!

The parts came in! So now I have 2N3716 & 2N3792 replacements for the power transistors that drive the vector monitor yolk. These are the ones mounted on the case in TO-2 cases (metal).

I also had MU-07 and MU-57 on hand, and Mouser had MSP8098, it's a replacement for the TIS98 that is used throughout the deflection amplifier circuitry.

So I pulled all these transistors on one of the G05-805 monitors that I have, soldered in the new parts, checked the TO-2 packages to make sure they weren't shorted the collector to the heatsink and turned everything on. The spot killer is still lit up. I did a little sleuthing and realized there's a 2N3906 that's pretty integral to the deflection circuitry and it's the only transistor that I didn't replace, so I swapped those out as well.

No joy, the monitor is still dead. So at this point I have done the following:

  • Cap kit
  • Swap all deflection transistors (MU-07, MU-57, TIS98, 2N3906, 2N3716 and 2N3792)
So now I need to start looking at resistors and diodes, and the fact that perhaps I have damaged some of the transistors. Both the X & Y deflection circuits are behaving the same, so perhaps that's an important clue.

1 comment:

  1. Really this website gonna like by Youngster, Always old is gold checkout this arcademaverick Games
    arcade machines for sale

    ReplyDelete